This winter also won’t go without a spectacular BAIS hike, this time we invite you on a tour to the Sopron Mountains at the Austrian-Hungarian border!
The region is famous for multiple reasons: it is a world heritage site due to its cultural-ecological significance as the Eastern edge of the Alps. The mountains also constituted the border of the Eastern bloc during the cold war, therefore the area is rich in border protecting objects (but no landmines any more!!
Sopron boasts not only the famous beer brand, but also one of the best preserved historical centers in Central Europe, according to some statistics, more than 50% of the town’s buildings are under historic monument protection.
During the trip, we will hike through the pine tree forests up to some of the outlook towers over the city, visit a charming forest lake, a prehistoric mound and before getting to the railway station of Sopron we’ll also sit in a cozy cellar to taste some of the great local wines. Afterwards we take a short walk on the cobbled, historic streets of Sopron and take our train back to Budapest.
The length of the hike: 13 km, 360 meters ascend and descend
Duration of the hike: approx. 4 hours
Difficulty: This hike is doable for everyone but don’t forget to bring your proper trekking shoes!
9h10 – Meeting at Kelenföld railway station, at Platform 15 (address: Etele tér)
11h40 – Arriving at Sopron railway station
15h00 – Lunch and wine cellar visit
18h00 – Walk in the old town of Sopron
20h20 – Taking the train from Sopron to Budapest
22h30 – Arrival back to Budapest
7.500: Student hike + FOOD
8.500: Adult hike + FOOD
Some pro arguments to definitely join this hike:
– Charming winter landscape in one of Hungary’s greatest pine tree forests
– Famous Sopron red wine in an authentic cellar
– Austria-Hungarian borderland vibes, brimmed with history
– Cobbled medieval streets – highly instagrammable
– You will discover yet another world heritage site in Hungary with scenic views and shabby old architecture
– Down in the cellars you can have some wine, spritzer, or nonalcoholic drinks. Exactly what everyone needs on a cold winter day!
– Last but not the least, you can spend your day with lovely international people!
Please note that our participation fee includes only the travel and your lunch, but not the drinks or the wine. It is up to you to choose what you want to try in Sopron!
Also, we are closely monitoring current covid19 regulations, in case new restrictions are introduced effecting this hike we will inform you.
Feel free to invite your friends, the more the merrier!
Looking forward to hiking with you,
The Budapest Hikers and BAIS team
P.S.: we only have 52 seats available.